|Vertical Drop:||500 feet|
|Past Lifts:||Surface lifts|
|Left: The former T-Bar liftline (2014)|
|Recent NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com News:
Last updated: November 10, 2016
Located just outside of the village of Oquossoc in Rangeley, 2,470 foot Bald Mountain was briefly home to a ski area before being overshadowed by nearby Saddleback.|
Bald Mountain Ski Development
Ski resort fever hit the Rangeley Lakes region in the 1950s when local businessmen looked to tap into the growing number of skiers in New England. Ski area designer Sel Hannah was brought over from New Hampshire to check out 2,470 foot Bald Mountain in Oquossoc and 4,116 foot Saddleback Mountain near Rangeley. While Hannah saw more potential in Saddleback, both mountains were developed by separate companies. By spring of 1958, Bald Mountain had already been surveyed and plans for a chairlift were being considered.
The Bald Mountain Ski Corp., led by local developer and State Senator Shelton C. Noyes, pulled together $24,300 from area business owners and commenced work on December 4, 1959. In 45 days time, an access road and 400 car parking lot were built, a train station dragged in for a lodge, a trail cut, and an 800 foot rope tow constructed.
In the Shadow of Saddleback
Bald Mountain ski area opened at the end of January of 1960 with Governor John H. Reed arriving via dogsled. Future expansion plans were quickly touted.
Bald Mountain in the 1960s
While plans were made to install a double chairlift for the second season (for both skiing and summer sightseeing purposes), they were eventually scaled back to a 2,300 foot T-Bar Nonetheless, the new lift provided a significantly expanded vertical drop of 500 feet (occasionally referred to as 1,200 feet). Popular trails included the Mooselook Warbler and the Rangeley Spinner. Night skiing was introduced, as was ice skating and a larger parking lot. Unfortunately for Bald Mountain, its improvements were overshadowed by opening of nearby Saddleback.
Growth continued leading into the 1961-62 season, as two new trails were cut.
Big plans were discussed in late 1962, including the possibility of installing a gondola for year round use. Unfortunately the ski area's growth was going to slow dramatically as neighbor Saddleback installed a double chairlift that served over twice the vertical drop of Bald Mountain in 1963.
Two ski jumps, 12 and 25 meters, were added for the 1964-65 season.
Saddleback and Bald worked together to put on a winter carnival during the 1965-66 season.
Bald Mountain likely shut down following 1967 or 1968. By the time 1969 rolled around, the area was delisted from guidebooks and likely liquated. The T-Bar was likely installed at Titcomb in 1969.
A former ski trail (2014)
The base area has since become home to the Rangeley Sporting Clays and Trap Range. In 1999, a new summit observation tower was constructed above the ski area, providing hikers wide views of the region.
Click on lift name for information and photos
Year by Year History
Adult Weekend Full Day Lift Ticket; Adult Full Price Unlimited Season Pass
||Season Pass Price
|"That picture of the handsome skier holding the bald mt. sign is Gautier Able Thibodeau otherwise known as Tibby or as i called him grampy. Thank you for the picture!"|
|Jessica Thibodeau DeVries, Dec. 21, 2015|
Bald Mountain (Oquossoc) - New England Lost Ski Areas Project
Bald Mountain - FranklinSites.com Hiking Guide