Presque Isle, Maine
Last updated: June 28, 2013
The Quoggy Jo T-Bar
Located northeast of Presque Isle off Route 167, Quoggy Jo (sometimes spelled Quoggy Joe) is a small surface lift ski area.
|Quoggy Jo Details|
|First Year of Operation:|
|Vertical Drop:||215 feet|
|Lifts in Operation:||Surface lift|
|Lifts Removed/Non Operational:||Surface lift|
Quoggy Joe Mountain
While there are references as early as 1940 to a Quoggy Joe cable sled tow, the present day Quoggy Jo ski area is miles away from the original Aroostook State Park development.
In 1959, Sel Hannah recommended a small ski development on Quoggy Joe Mountain, likely near or at the site of the cable sled tow. It is not known if this area was ever developed or redeveloped.
It is also not known when the present day Quoggy Jo ski area was constructed, however it dates back to before the 1980s. The Quoggy Joe Ski Club was registered as a Maine non-profit organization on December 27, 1957.
Maine Winter Sports Center
Circa 2000, the Maine Winter Sports Center, backed by grants from the Libra Foundation, took over Quoggy Jo. Likely in 2000, a Hall T-Bar was installed, replacing the rope tow.
In June of 2013, Maine Winter Sports Center announced its intentions to close Big Rock and Black Mountain and thus exit the alpine ski business. It is not known if this will affect Quoggy Jo.
|2000-2001||T-Bar||Hall T-Bar||Possibly installed|| |